Air Transport

Header Image

Version en español

  • Will I be able to continue flying between the United Kingdom and Spain after 31 October? I already have the tickets. Will I have any problems using them?

    Following the European Union's approval of the contingency regulation regarding air connectivity (EU Regulation 2019/502), in the event of a "hard" Brexit, connectivity between the United Kingdom and Spain would be guaranteed until 30 March 2020, as long as the UK applies reciprocal measures to those taken by Europe, something that it recently confirmed it will do. This date is also expected to be extended from 30 March 2020 to 24 October 2020.

    If you have a ticket with a connection in the United Kingdom, or in the European Union from the United Kingdom, and the destination in either case is a third country, we recommend you contact your airline to make sure that the conditions of carriage have not changed.

    You can check the measures being taken by the EU in the field of air transport here:

  • The press has reported that some Spanish airlines could lose their licence after Brexit and will be unable to fly anywhere. I already have tickets from one of these airlines. Is there a risk that I will not be able to travel with it?

    In accordance with the contingency connectivity regulation discussed above, all EU companies that may be affected by this process should have submitted an adaptation plan that will guarantee their full compliance with European regulations within 6 months once the effective Brexit date is confirmed. The companies affected in Spain have already submitted this adaptation plan to the National Aviation Safety Agency. As a result, there is no risk to any travel already booked with these airlines, as all of them will be able to continue operating normally beyond 31 October. Once Brexit takes place, these companies will have 6 months to make all the necessary changes so they can continue operating.

  • As a passenger, will I notice any changes when flying to the United Kingdom?

    In the event of "hard" Brexit, that is, one with no agreement between the EU and the United Kingdom, people travelling to or from the United Kingdom will have to carry their passports, as they will follow the same procedures as passengers from non-EU and countries and those not included in the Schengen Treaty. Thus, passengers will have to get their passports stamped (at the national police post) after passing through the ABC (automated border control) system devices.

    If you are travelling with your pet, you will have to check the travel conditions contained on the TRAVEL section of this website, as well as on the website of the website of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.

    It is extremely important that you make sure that you satisfy all the requirements before boarding your pet in order to avoid problems when you arrive in EU territory.

  • I'm planning to travel to the USA after 31 October, with a stopover in a British airport. Will Brexit affect me in any way? Do I have to get a specific visa for the United Kingdom?

    Based on the latest information provided by the British Government, citizens of the European Economic Area  will not need a transit visa when stopping over at British airports. In any event, you should check the British government website in advance of any planned trip in case these conditions change.

  • I am a citizen of one of the following countries: AFGHANISTAN, BANGLADESH, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GHANA, IRAN, IRAQ, NIGERIA, PAKISTAN, SOMALIA, SRI LANKA, and I plan to travel to the United Kingdom after 31 October with a stopover a Spanish airport. Are there any special requirements?

    Nationals of the countries listed above who wish to travel to the United Kingdom after Brexit via Community airports will indeed need an transit visa. They must go to the nearest consulate of the country where they will be stopping over to get the visa.

  • After Brexit, will I continue enjoying the same air transport rights as a passenger that I have now?

    European law protects all passengers who depart from a European airport, regardless of the airline's nationality, and even those who depart from outside the European Union to the European Union if flying on a European airline. Until now, this included all flights between Spain and the United Kingdom.

    With the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union, flights leaving from the United Kingdom will be subject to British user protection laws. But if you fly on European Union airlines to an airport in the EU, you will also enjoy the safeguards that are provided by European law. You can find out about these rights on the website of the State Air Safety Agency.

  • If I'm travelling from Spain to the United Kingdom and my flight is cancelled or delayed, can I file a claim for assistance, compensation, etc. under the European regulation that protects the rights of users of air transport (Reg. 261/2004)?

    In this case, since the flight departs from a Spanish airport, European regulations still apply, regardless of the airline.

  • On the return flight - I'm travelling from the United Kingdom to Spain - if my flight is cancelled or delayed, can I file a claim for assistance, compensation, etc. in accordance with European regulations protecting the rights of air transport users (Reg. 261/2004)?

    Once the United Kingdom stops being a European Union member country, European laws protecting the rights of air transport users will only apply if the flight is operated by an EU airline. If the flight is operated by a non-EU airline, then these laws will not apply and the rights of the passengers will be governed by the laws of the country of origin, the United Kingdom in this case.

  • I am a British citizen currently living in the Canary Islands/Balearic Islands. Will I continue to be eligible for the air transport subsidy when I travel between islands or to the mainland?

    Once the United Kingdom leaves the European Union and becomes a third country, you will only be eligible for the subsidy if your long-term residency status is recognised.